Announcement

Collapse

Purpose of The Meadow

Meadows in nature are often flanked by trees and filled with various forms of plant life, fallen logs, rocks, tree stumps. They are central gathering places and sometimes habitats for all forms of wildlife. Similarly, we're all here due to our interests in 3D art, however, 3D art is not all we are. Here in the Hive, our meadow is the place where people can gather together and get to know each other simply as people.

Are you celebrating a birthday or want to leave well wishes for someone else? Stop by the Birthday Thread, grab a slice of and a and maybe someone will let you help !

Would you like to share who you really are behind that avatar? Buzz on over to Members Mugs and share your selfies!

Over in the Hive kitchen, we're baking delicious goodies and sharing recipes to Feed the Muse. Pop on in and pick up some tasty treats for YOUR muse!
See more
See less

Subject: Dawn - General impressions so far (Renderosity)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Dawn - General impressions so far (Renderosity)

Hi all. I started a Dawn thread over at Renderosity just to see what people's impressions were one week in. The feedback was generally positive, though with some negative impressions as well. Since a number of the posters there are far more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of 3d than I am, I'm not sure as to how legit some of the criticisms are. Still, I wanted to link the thread here so, hopefully, Dawn's creators will have one more data point on which to make any easy patch fixes, as well as structural and technological changes that may benefit the model long term.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forum...2871421&page=1

It's never a good idea to make a thread like that over at Rendo, between the trolls and the opinionated bigots it will quickly become a flame-fest and then get locked. Which is a shame really because most of the people over there are decent, it's just the morons that think they know everything about everything that spoil it for the rest.

Comment

Half of the comments is nonsense and they do not right judgement , People need to learn a little bit about something before comments , they blame all mistake they made to the figure , everyone know that rigged clothing in P14 will not working in P12 as expected but why not blame Dawn for that , the other part of the people don't like her because of the look as they don't care about the rest as much , so for me just waste of time and non needed drama , it actually is depressing to read .. Genesis base is not even humanoid , V4 is outdated that I don;t even use for the last 5 years , people living with sentiments , they need to go forward , and try to make something and not play safe , Dawn is not flawless as the figure have some issues as well on the technical side , the look is not important and can be changed with one click , everyone got free base to play with and do something and be creative and not biatching about as it set everything only in negative light and atmosphere .. this types of threads are a bad trigger for dramas without winners ..a waste of time as you can't count on opinion of people that don;t know nothing about what they use but time may change there options very soon , I saw it many time before , the last time I saw the same threads about V4, V3 and other figures
      SIMPLE IS BEAUTIFUL ~ MEC4D
      Gallery MEC4D on INSTAGRAM
      __________________________________________________ ____________________
      MEC4D'S HIVEWIRE3D STORE
      MEC4D'S OFFICIAL STORE

Comment

I agree 100% we don;t need this drama here , we just escapes from it lol
        Originally posted by Bejaymac View Post
        It's never a good idea to make a thread like that over at Rendo, between the trolls and the opinionated bigots it will quickly become a flame-fest and then get locked. Which is a shame really because most of the people over there are decent, it's just the morons that think they know everything about everything that spoil it for the rest.
        MEC4D'S HIVEWIRE3D STORE
        MEC4D'S OFFICIAL STORE

Comment

"It's never a good idea to make a thread like that over at Rendo, between the trolls and the opinionated bigots it will quickly become a flame-fest and then get locked."

Ha! Well you are certainly right that there's a bit of flaming going on in that thread. I definitely don't want to bring bad drama here but the fact remains that Renderosity is one of the bigger suppliers out there and at least some of Dawn's future success will be based on whether or not vendors are able to sell products for her there, so I figured it was worth making the connection. Dawn's creators can use or ignore the link at their discretion.

Comment

I'll say, I like Genesis. I even like G2F. V4, after so many years it kinda felt bogged down. I'm really liking Dawn though, and have found myself spending a lot of time working on her, and working with her. I don't render too much, I'm always fasinated in tearing things apart, looking at the mesh, looking at the joints, making, remaking, .. Dawn might need a little polish, but so does every new figure. The mesh is wonderful to work with IMHO for a morphing point of view, she's taken to DS style clothing rigging very well, the UV mapping and textures are good and clean, making them easy to use in a 3d projection paint mode, she loads relatively fast..
            I think my true test on a model, though, is how many add ons I need before I'm comfortable with a figure. I have base Dawn, some freebies from around the web, and I have yet to sit here and go "I really, really need X, Dawn is useless without it". I can't say that for many other figures- Most times I have to struggle out of the gate if I don't have Morph packs A-Z, joint fixes, resource packs...
            Dawn, I downloaded, I opened, I started creating. It works for me. Critics will be critics, every place has their fanboys/fangirls, nay sayers and cheerleaders. In the end, the only opinion that matters is the person directly working with the model, though- you'll (in general) love it or hate for various reasons, and once any drama is stripped away, that's really all that matters.
            -------- http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploa...r_name=dvl_lvd
            "When opportunity knocks, be sure to ask for 2 forms of ID- cause it's probably just trouble in disguise. " - Tickle.
            ".. This cup of yours tastes holy, But a brush with the Devil can clear your mind And strengthen your spine" - Mumford & Sons, "Whispers In The Dark"

Comment

You see, we never ever do nothing nice and easy
              We always do it nice and rough

So we're gonna take the beginning of this and do it easy
              Then we're gonna do the finish rough

lol
              MEC4D'S HIVEWIRE3D STORE
              MEC4D'S OFFICIAL STORE

Comment

MEC4D: I bought your T-Others chompers the other day and have played with them. They work seamlessly. I look forward to seeing what else you do for Dawn in the future.

Comment

Thanks buddy , did you saw my last reply to the male tread there are some extras .. but I think you saw already
                  I have all family line coming for Dawn, end the vendors are very happy as it will be for some better start to creating more versatile characters
                  I do really like Dawn and for modeling better than genesis , you can just create everything you want ..

and thank you for the support a lot wonderful things coming soon better than ever I created .. I promise
                  MEC4D'S HIVEWIRE3D STORE
                  MEC4D'S OFFICIAL STORE

Comment

I'm not sure which is the "male" thread so I can't say that I've seen your reply. I definitely look forward to your future models here.

Comment

Look here my Darren for Dawn : http://hivewire3d.com/forum/showthre...for-Dawn-W-I-P
                      and my new Daria for Dawn : http://hivewire3d.com/forum/showthre...for-Dawn-W-I-P

there are a lot of new previews just scroll by the pages , that is what come next
                      MEC4D'S HIVEWIRE3D STORE
                      MEC4D'S OFFICIAL STORE

Comment

Very nice! I will definitely watch out for these. The Darren images make me laugh because at least one of the posters on the Renderosity thread was saying they were doubtful that a good male morph could be done for Dawn. I've noticed that Ramwolff has also done some work on creating a male morph so obviously the naysayers aren't right.

Comment

I posted in that thread and then deleted it after seeing the snarkiness that popped in ahead of it. Those forums have gotten so... uninviting lately.

Short version, I'm enjoying Dawn. She seems to work so smoothly in Poser, and the clothing specific for her just pops on with no fuss, muss, or conversion scripts. I'm eagerly waiting to see what comes next for her.
                          My Deviant Art Gallery

Comment

I'm also enjoying Dawn. I can't exactly complain too much about people hating Dawn. Since I hated Genesis. Now, part of it of course was the lack of morphs. There weren't that many either on the base figure, so it was limited what you could do. Since she wasn't yet usable in Poser, I wasn't going to spend money on the Genesis versions of Morphs ++.

I do object to those claiming Dawn is a horrible figure which doesn't compare at all to V4 or Genesis when they haven't even bothered to download and try using Dawn. There just is no basis for those people claiming she isn't as good a figure as V4 or Genesis.

Seems a lot of people hate her based on the appearance of the base figure. I suppose if you don't ever plan to acquire any additional morphs or character sets then it does matter if you think the base figure is ugly. Since ... that's all you'll ever be rendering :P

I really do not get the unfavorable comparisons to V4. Much as I liked V4, I won't deny the figure has problems. Dawn will get her own vast library of clothing, morph sets, characters, and textures. It's possible to convert clothing to Dawn, if you're inclined. But the lack of clothing, morph sets, characters, and textures is nothing new. All new figures experience that. Genesis was able to use the textures from Gen 4, but autofitting clothing was always tough and go in my experience. Others apparently have less problems autofitting than I do. Just like some people are brilliant at converting clothing, and others have problems.

So, disregarding the typical lack of products for a new figure, the primary thing V4 has had going for her over the last two years compared to the "new" figures from DAZ, was she is a native Poser figure. Those of us who have learned how to deal with her flaws, or those who have purchased the bazillion fixes for her are able to make her work. But it can be a struggle sometimes. V4 simply does not bend better than Dawn. But, I can understand if someone has spent a lot of money buying all the fixes for V4 why they would feel V4's bending is good enough.

For the record, I still hate Genesis, even though I think the concept is rather cool. But this is after spending money on products for it and taking the time to try to make it work well in Poser. I also don't care for Genesis 2 Female or her line of characters. Mostly because the Genesis "figure system" isn't native to Poser, and DSON gives me unreliable or unacceptable results. So ... what use is an improved Genesis female only character to me?

I do think it rather funny that some people complain that Dawn brings nothing new technologically, yet then claim the Genesis 2 Female is far superior to Dawn. Genesis 2 Female isn't bringing anything new technologically.

Ultimately, most of the complaints I've seen are subjective based on Dawn's appearance and NOT based on the workmanship/workability of her figure. Given time, the complains that have merit will be addressed.

Seriously, it's a lot like iPhone and Android. If you're an Apple person, nothing anyone else ever develops can be better than the iProducts. If you're an Android person, iProducts are overpriced and overhyped. But ... when it all comes down to it, there is room in the world for both. Just as there is room in our little world for Dawn and for Genesis.

It's just ... our Dawn is better :P

Originally posted by Morana View Post
                            I posted in that thread and then deleted it after seeing the snarkiness that popped in ahead of it. Those forums have gotten so... uninviting lately.

Short version, I'm enjoying Dawn. She seems to work so smoothly in Poser, and the clothing specific for her just pops on with no fuss, muss, or conversion scripts. I'm eagerly waiting to see what comes next for her.
                            Satira Capriccio on deviantART
                            Satira Capriccio on Hivewire

Comment

Originally posted by Satira Capriccio View Post
                              *snip*
                              Seems a lot of people hate her based on the appearance of the base figure. I suppose if you don't ever plan to acquire any additional morphs or character sets then it does matter if you think the base figure is ugly. Since ... that's all you'll ever be rendering :P
                              */snip*
                              What I find a little ammusing there is, within just a short time there were free morphs out for Dawn that completely changed her appearence. So the choice is there, if a person new to Dawn wanted to give it a go.
                              I do think some people honestly (and this isn't a judgement) just have trouble wrapping their heads around 3rd party models, also. They get very used to Daz or SM base models that they sometimes assume a third party model must be inferior, or it would belong to Daz or SM. Over time, that starts to fade, but until then it's growling and baring teeth at times. One of my favorite models from the old days was Mayadoll by Studio Maya. I was actually sad when she wouldn't port over well for DS 4.* . Her base figure: I hated it. But once I had Rei, Maria, and a bunch of free morphs and addons from all over the net- she was my model of choice for a long, long time. Totally third party, under supported.. but I wish I had an updated version of her in my library today.
                              Things will settle. They always do.
                              -------- http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploa...r_name=dvl_lvd
                              "When opportunity knocks, be sure to ask for 2 forms of ID- cause it's probably just trouble in disguise. " - Tickle.
                              ".. This cup of yours tastes holy, But a brush with the Devil can clear your mind And strengthen your spine" - Mumford & Sons, "Whispers In The Dark"

Comment

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 165 at 03:56 AM on 11-13-2015.

Working...
                              X