Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of seamless tile software, preferably free?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of seamless tile software, preferably free?

Does anyone know of a software, pref free as I'm on a budget of zero, that you can use to make a seamless 2d tile.

I don't mean the ones where it mirrors in the corners as I can do that in psp, but a square where you put a png image layer on and when you move it off the side it reappears on the other side (like a loop)

I'm fed up with trying to match up by hand.

Cheers
    Dawn
    My Poodie Tats paw is called Teddy

Just happened to see your post while surfing, and since I know a solution, here it goes...

Gimp is able to do what you are looking for by using a "pattern fill." Here's a link that tells you how to do it http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-pattern-dialog.html I love Gimp primarily because it IS free. Money certainly does not grow on trees anymore, even if it used to!

Comment

Hey Dawn, if you're already using PSP, you can do what you want. I don't know what version of PSP you're using, and I only updated as far as version 9, but still use version 7 for quicky things like screenshots, as I use Photoshop for postworking my 3D renders.

If I'm understanding what you want to do, I've attached a screenshot of how you could do it. (A) is how you would fill an image of whatever size you choose. if you're seeing a Circle with a line through it instead of the default texture, you need to click on the tiny right facing triangle to set it up for textures. Then you would click in the texture box, and it will open a small popup dialog (B). Click on the bar with the down facing triangle and you'll get a scrollable preview of the available textures that come with PSP. You can always add your own, as I'm assuming you already have something in mind, but it's small and you want and easy way to make it larger.

Once you've chosen the texture you want to use, open the new image, if you don't already have one open, and fill it (C). Be sure to choose a color for the foreground "style". In this case I chose Black. (D) is the actual texture I used in this case, and for the most part they are in BMP format.

Hope this helps some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SeamlessTexture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	21921

OK, Where's my chocolate?

My Renderosity Gallery

Miss B's Graphics

Comment

Thanks both, I don't think I made myself very clear, its not the flood fill thing I was after, more of how to make the seamless tile in an easy way, at the moment I do a lot in psp8, its old but I prefer that to newer photoshop versions.

What I want to so is take a png with a transparent background and put that into a programme that will loop the png around, adding layers I can build up a seamless tile without that triangle effect you get with bidirectional mirrors in the seamless tile tool

You can sort of do it with psp and the grids but you still have to match them up, so its trial an error

this is one layer,

Name:	seamlesstileoverview.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	21928

7 layers, 4 items but 3 have two layers for each at either side of the loop

Name:	seamlesstileoverview2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	21929

flattened

Name:	seamlesstileoverview3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	21930

used as a flood fill

Name:	seamlesstileoverview4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	21931

not sure why its added a load of links at the end, pics are above, below are duplicates
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure about Psp, since I don't even have it, but in Gimp when you drag something around on the screen, a little dialogue shows up in the taskbar which tells you which pixel your cursor is on; e.g., if it says 523x300, your cursor is 523 pixels down from the top, and 300 pixels over from the left edge of the image. I use that to tell me how to line up things for doing seamless tiles, and it seems to go pretty fast. Don't know if Psp does the same...

Comment

oh I think I've seen that in psp, will check that out, it certainly would help. thanks :)

Shame there is not a little programme that could do this automatically, bet it would be popular amongst texturers.

Comment

Ahhhh OK, I wasn't sure if what I posted above was what you were looking for, and yes my PSP 7 has an option at the bottom left of the UI that will tell me the coordinates for a selection I make. It will also tell you the size of an image, as well as where your cursor is hovering. I usually use that to see how large an area I've selected is, which comes in handy when you want to make a specific sized selection for another image. I often do that to make small thumbnails to use on my 2D graphics site. I prefer selecting a choice part of the larger image, rather than trying to resize it down.

My Renderosity Gallery

Miss B's Graphics

Comment

thanks MissB, I found it, its also on psp8 on a bar at the bottom

I know what you mean about resizing thumbs, when I do the thumbs for rendo store page I copy the whole pic into a new window the smaller size and move it around until I get what I want, luckily HW don't want any thumbs done as their software does it for you (I think, I hope Alisa don't do them all, I am now imaging her sitting at the pc til gone midnight creating little thumbnails for everyone, beavering away into the early hours heheee )

I wish I had the brains to create this sort of little programme, don't think it would be that difficult for those who know how to do it, for a dimwit like me I aint got the foggiest.

Comment

I thought it would be, but it's been years since I've used PSP8 or PSP9, so couldn't remember. Then, of course, there's all the X versions that are more related to photo manip then creation of 2D, or postwork of 3D, images, and I have no idea how it would be done in those.

In Photoshop there's an Info palette that shows that info, but I keep forgetting about it, as I'm so used to looking at the lower left to see it. At least in Photoshop, if I wanted to do what you do, I can move the selection around the larger image by leaving the selection tool selected and using the cursor keys to find what I want for a thumbnail. The selection, or image itself, doesn't move unless you have the move tool selected, and then used the cursor keys. I don't think I've ever been able to do that in PSP, where I usually have to have the Shift key depressed to get a selection to move.

My Renderosity Gallery

Miss B's Graphics

Comment

I managed to create a paint shop pro image file with a couple of layers that you use with the snap grid on it seems to work ok, but it is limited to the snap Lines. I find Photoshop very cumbersome compared to paint shop Pro. I don't even think I have my disc still of Photoshop 7 so can't even try out in that.

Comment

I would've agreed with you when I first started playing with PS 5.5. Then I took a class when I upgraded to PS 7, so now that I'm using PS CS2, I've gotten as used to it over the years as I am with PSP.

I even had Gimp on my old laptop, but never got as used to it as I would've liked. Too bad, since it has a lot of PS functionality, and it's free.

My Renderosity Gallery

Miss B's Graphics

Comment

I am very impatient when it comes to learning software, I got zbrush May2014 and hardly use it as the learning curve is humungous, I do bits in it that I cant do in Hex, which I love, the fact you can manipulate a point or a single poly, I cant work that out in Zbrush, shame DAZ didn't evolve and upgrade that programme, they dropped a good one there. Another programme I couldn't get into was blender, I think I lasted 5 mins in that and couldn't work out how to even move stuff lol. I have to have instant gratification on a new bit of kit :D

Comment

Ahhhh, and I love Blender, but I have to agree . . . it takes years to get comfortable with it. Now-a-days there are tons of forums and tutorials online to make it easier to learn, but when I was first starting out with it, the online options were much more limited.

If you ever feel like trying it again (in your "spare" time), feel free to check out my growing list of resources in the Blender forum here.

My Renderosity Gallery

Miss B's Graphics

Comment

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 165 at 02:56 AM on 11-13-2015.

Working...
                          X